Reparations and the Durban conference

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Aug 28 10:04:23 PDT 2001

Does anyone know where I can find a decent article defending reparations, and taking the African or third world perspective of the Durban conference? Most of the stuff I've read here in America focuses on the American experience of slavery and individual payments pursued through the courts, as opposed to taking the colonial perspective and thinking about reparations as a means to change the debate on international development aid -- to change the way its conceived, from acts of generosity to the atonement for huge collective crimes -- which I gather is more the Durban approach.

Any suggestions would be great. And good critical articles would also be appreciated, although I haven't had as much trouble finding them. Thanks a lot.

Michael