To market, to market

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Wed Aug 29 02:13:43 PDT 2001

I bought an early '60s-vintage, suitcase-style, portable, battery-operated record player/AM radio/shortwave set - imagine Emma Peel and James Bond doing the Mashed Potato on the beach - at an estate sale a week or so ago. (Amazingly, my Stock, Hausen & Walkman record sounded fantastic on the turntable...)

I was fooling around with the shortwave last night and got China News International, a highly polished, government-sanctioned, western-style station broadcasting in English, and was interested to hear a story on how fishermen from small villages in one region are making extra money ($12 / month) by selling ordinary seawater to ritzy hotels and restaurants to keep their seafood fresh - apparently this was an issue before someone's bright idea.

But the kicker was the schoolmasterly on-air commentator's genial, upbeat summation of the story, which was (paraphrasing only slightly), "which just goes to show - in a market economy, it pays to be on the cusp of the trends!" I almost choked on my dinner when I heard that.

--

/ dave /