Open Source capitalists

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 14:32:48 PDT 2001

> Someone else mentioned that open-source software is
> being written in the
> unis. I'd have to call BS on that. In my
> experience most of the useful
> open-source software is coming from for-profit
> companies, or coming from
> people whose for-profit employer encourages them to
> work on those efforts.
> The people working on open-source software are not
> doing it out of
> altruism.

This is a relatively recent development, though. The original Berkeley extensions to Unix, Sendmail, GNU C, and the Linux kernal itself were all, if not official university projects, developed by people who had the time and resources that a university environment provides. Even today, there are few for-profit employers enlightened enough to allow their employees to work on "free" software...

Jim Baird