Open Source capitalists

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Aug 30 06:07:36 PDT 2001

. . . But I also get the impression that the talmudic interpretation of computer licences is less important than the general issue of whether an attack on intellectual property is an attack on capitalism. Some of the things Stallman has said seem to suggest something in this line, but it seems pretty far-fetched to me. . . .

I made an analogy between railroads and operating systems, not because I think open source is 'revolutionary,' but because it is progressive. Moving something that ought to be public from the private sphere, at the expense of its nominal, rich owners, is a progressive reform. As such, it will help other capitalists make money, among other outcomes, as many here have pointed out. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Anything that helps the economy grow is going to enrich those who own capital.

mbs