pre-Keynesian

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 10:53:54 PDT 2001

> I said that it's not inflationary in an economy with
> slack resources,
> but there's a limit to that kind of spending. Limits
> in the narrowly
> economic sense - debt/GDP ratios, for example - but
> also, more
> importantly, in the political sense, that of
> Kalecki's analysis of
> the impossibility of sustained full employment under
> capitalism. As
> he put it, if workers aren't under any meaningful
> threat of "the
> sack," they'll get to militant - they'll become
> unmanageable, their
> wages will rise, profits will fall, and all the
> lines of class
> authority will wither. That's the political point
> behind all the
> orthodox eocnomists' worry about NAIRU.
>
> Doug

But that's whole different issue, isn't it? Keynes showed the economic mechanism by which a monetary authority could ensure low or no unemployment. But the political issue of unemployment (uppity workers, etc.) is quite separate from the economic question.

But here's the real question: while Keynes's recomendations were never adopted wholehaearted, for several decades after WWII, the were adopted enough in most of the west to allow virtually no unemployment. Then, right about the time Nixon claimed that everyone was a Keynesian, it seems the ruling class lost it's faith in Keynesian solutions, and unemployment started to rise.

So what happened? Did the ruling class just decide that it could no longer afford full employment, or did the experience of the seventies (when the conventional wisdom had it that "Keynesian solutions failed") make them fall back on neoclassical ideas about "sound finance" that they never had real stopped beleiveing anyway? Are the ruling classes evil (in knowing how to prevent unemployment, while choosing not to in order to increase their power) or just stupid?

Jim Baird

Doug, you seem to attribute every economic policy