The Surplus's effect on money supply

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 30 12:10:55 PDT 2001

"Forstater, Mathew" wrote:

> [clip]
> spending would be desirable (when there is higher unemployment, slower
> economy). If we go a step further and recognize that moderate inflation
> is not a big problem (or is worth the trade-off), then spending could be
> increased even more. Mat

In the collection of loony tunes that constitute Pound's comments on economics, one metaphor stands out as of some interest (quoted or paraphrased from memory): "It isn't inflationary to print tickets if there are empty seats in the theatre." (I believe Pound's version was a bit pithier. I don't remember which book or essay it was in.)

Carrol