value

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Aug 30 13:54:42 PDT 2001

At 09:30 PM 8/30/01 +0100, James Heartfield wrote:
> >are there any well-known (or obscure) tales of someone who spent a lot of
> >money to obtain something of value to them but, once they got it, they were
> >so afraid of losing it/having it stolen or damaged that they never used it
> >or displayed it?
>
>Parable of the talents

yeahyeahyeah. but i was looking for something that really happened. if anyone has a real story, i'd appreciate it. i need a hook for an exec issue i'm doing.

i was going to make up a story about someone who restored a hotrod only to never drive it for fear of having it stolen. wa inspired by a highschool beau. he lovingly restored a '69 camaro (yes, ask me: i can tell you exactly what year a camoro was made by looking at the headlights :)

it was a sweetie: orange crush, he called her. drove it oh-so carefully. (leadfoot here wanted SPEED. drat!) then he decided to put lifts on it. well, he botched the job. orange crush did not take bumps well after that. one day he bought sack of cement mix for his father. it weighed about 100 lbs. so he placed it in the backseat instead of trunk, worried that it was too heavy for the trunk. turns out that he got a nice ride with the weight. hmmmm. that friday when he took me to A&W for dinner, he asked if i wouldn't mind sitting in the back seat so i could perform the same function as the sack of cement mix.

ha!

kelley