S11 may have been planned in Spain by Syrians

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Dec 1 07:09:18 PST 2001

This is something I can believe. If you go to the story's graphics page http://www.time.com/time/europe/eu/magazine/0,9868,185750,00.html you can see the mug shots. These guys look like they have the smarts to pull off S11, unlike the cavemen in Afghanistan. It looks to me like the ringleader Yarkas is Mohammed Atta's controller, whom Atta twice went to Spain to visit.

I think Garzon has netted something even bigger than Pinochet this time.

Hakki

http://www.time.com/time/europe/eu/printout/0,9869,185750,00.html Saturday, December 1, 2001 Bust In Madrid A well-established al-Qaeda cell may have been directly involved in planning the U.S. terrorist attacks BY JAMES GRAFF/MADRID The cells of alleged al-Qaeda schemers busted in Europe over the last year have been accused of planning attacks — in Paris, Brussels, Rome and Strasbourg — that luckily never happened. None has been linked to the one that tragically did: the suicide bombing plot of Sept. 11, centered around Mohamed Atta’s apparently autonomous cell in Hamburg. That changed last week when Spanish investigative judge, Baltasar Garzón, released a preliminary indictment against eight men alleged to have constituted a long-standing al-Qaeda cell in Spain.

Not only did the cell actively recruit members to al-Qaeda, arrange their transport to Afghanistan training camps and provide illicit funding to the terrorist outfit, Garzón claims. But unlike its counterparts in Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Milan and Sarajevo, the Madrid cell also "may have been directly involved in the preparation and implementation" of the U.S. attacks. (...)

More in: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/europe/story.jsp?dir=73&story=105961&hos t=3&printable=1