Afghan Women & Work: Rural vs. Urban

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 1 07:14:21 PST 2001

***** In many ways, Taliban strictures have hit urban women hardest. Unlike their rural sisters, they were once accustomed to fairly widespread liberties. "When I was young," says Naveeda, a 22-year-old Kabul resident, "education was available to girls, we went to Indian movies, there were parties and we learned to sing and dance. I wanted to be a doctor or a teacher. I miss all of that very badly." But in the countryside, where 95% of Afghan women live, life remains much the same. Indeed, at least one thing is better: crime is down. Rural women continue to do farmwork, as they have done for centuries.... Afghanistan's female literacy rate, now a dismal 4%, is not so much worse than the 7% rate of 20 years ago.

(Hannah Bloch, "Still No Place for the Ladies," _TIME Asia_ 156.21 [29 May 2000] at <http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/2000/0529/afghanistan.women.html>) ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>