Afghanistan: As Bad as Its Reputation? (by Michael Rubin)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 1 09:18:02 PST 2001

>http://www.newsandletters.org/Issues/2001/Nov/war_nov2001.htm
>
>www.newsandletters.org
>
>Column: Woman as Reason by Sonia Bergon
>
>Women demand a more profound anti-war movement

Yes, indeed, let's have a more profound anti-war movement, but to do so we need accurate empirical studies & incisive & yet subtle theoretical analyses attuned to class & international politics, not boilerplates from Sonia Bergen. Why do such "feminists" as Bergen have less to say about actual conditions of Afghan women, divided by classes, levels of education, degrees of urbanization, etc., than Michael Rubin? Are they not interested in Afghan women other than RAWA? Feminists used to and still study & publish actual conditions of women (work, education, reproduction, family & kin structure, etc.). That's what we need. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>