McDonough on euro

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Dec 1 13:52:09 PST 2001

It does seem a remarkable statement, but can Doug or anyone else translate it?

I take to admit three very interesting assumptions.

1. The USA economy has the advantage of the dollar being world money, and it therefore can issue dollars beyond what would normally be a proportionate ratio to its assets.

2. Global finance capitalism is so interpenetrated that leaders of US finance capital can discuss with leaders of German finance capital different ways of managing world money. And clearly if this is said in public, a number of them must have done some sort of feasability studies about a basket of major global currencies in private.

3. There are disadvantages to the USA's low savings ratio. But what can they be?? It seems to me that the citizens of the USA have been able to enjoy billions more dollars worth of goods and services than they would otherwise have before the economy hit the buffers. So in what sense is the low savings ratio bad for the USA?

Chris Burford

London