Ginger (or, Neo-Schumpeterians Killer App?)

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Dec 3 09:20:50 PST 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> > <http://www.time.com/time/business/printout/0,8816,186660,00.html>
> >
> > Dec. 02, 2001
> > Reinventing the Wheel
>
> The problem with vehicles like this (if I'm guessing
> correctly about its attributes) is similar to that faced
> by other alternatives to full-sized motor vehicles, e.g.
> bicycles, motorcycles, skateboards, wheelchairs and the like:
> the users are seen as politically inferior to those who use
> the more expensive vehicles and so are literally marginalized,
> physically and legally threatened, and often forced off the
> roads into pedestrian space. The conflict, if something so
> one-sided can be called a conflict, revolves around the issue
> of who has the right to space, especially urban space. In
> America, at least, the answer is usually "those who have,
> display and utilize greater wealth". Gentry adoption of
> bicycles and skates in New York City has not seemed to make
> much difference.

I'm just wondering if you get a free Devo hat with purchase of a Segway.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.com/ MutualAid.org (coming soon) AIM: AgentHelloKitty

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).