lbo-talk-digest V1 #5353

brettk at unicacorp.com brettk at unicacorp.com
Mon Dec 3 10:53:09 PST 2001

>>A good point. But my impression from reading the mainstream media is
that
>>there has been a lot of commentary on the treatment of women under the
>>Taliban (burkas, no chance to be educated or earn a living), but not so
>>much on those of the NA (I assume because the NA are now officially our
>>friends). For example, the Oprah show which my mom taped about the fate
of
>>women in Afghanistan didn't mention the treatment of women under the NA
at
>>all, or what happened in Kabul from '92 to '96. I don't know if
feminists
>>have engaged in this one-sideded focus. RAWA certainly hasn't.
>
>is oprah a feminist? is it appropriate to talk about them as if they were
>feminists.

I used Oprah as an example of the US mainstream media, not as an example of a feminist. I think that's clear from my previous post. I used the Oprah example simply because I watched that particular show a day or two before the I wrote the post.

>but one thing i know you do know because i spent a lot of time explaning
it
>on YOUR request: there are many _kinds_ of western feminisms. it is
>ridiculously inapprorpriate to speak of them as if they represented ALL
>feminists and indict ALL feminists.

What are you talking about? I thought I made a point of not knowing how feminists were thinking/reacting. Where did I indict any feminists, let along all of them?

Brett