Blum on rebuilding Afghanistan

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 3 18:14:38 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Mina Kumar wrote:
>
> >There is remarkable tolerance, in the sense that white people often
> >forbear to say what they would have said twenty years ago, but
> >they'll say it given a chance, which I've had a chance to observe
> >post-S11, and this knowledge makes the notion of multicultural
> >solidarity laughable.
>
> You've said this several times. Just how many people have said what
> exactly? One asshole on the subway, or the Multitude?

Mina's point seems about as unobjectionable as a statement that most children under 16 attend school. I would take it for granted without really substantial evidence (_not_ poll evidence) to the contrary. Evidence would have to be something like hundreds of cases of thousands of white persons spontaneously rallying to protest police roughing up of a black person. Or perhaps the white workers at Mitsubishi here go around beating up the white workers who are hassling the hell out of the black workers there.

It's really not worth arguing. Mina's point is a given.

Carrol