legal advice?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Dec 3 20:17:09 PST 2001

I don't have any legal advice, but I do know this situation arises occasionally with FNB activities, most famously in San Francisco, where over 1000 people were arrested quite a few years back. Several months ago the police threatened to stop an FNB operation in New Brunswick, New Jersey, but they got some bad publicity and the FNB "chapter" consented to filled out a pro-form permit application. In New York City a few years ago, a non-FNB free food party was busted, but the cops waited until all the food had been given out, and then gave one person a ticket, on the basis of a law that makes it illegal to serve hot food to the public without a license of some kind. The authorities of liberalism are conflicted about such things: they _want_ to make them stop until properly licensed and authorized (that is, incorporated into the State) but the use of police force against the likes of FNB gives the game away all too obviously.

Thus, the most effective response seems to be to publicity.

-- Gordon

Doug Henwood: