Israel Cabinet 7 for and 7 against toppling Arafat....plus Israel Turns Palestinian Towns into Prisons

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Mon Dec 3 23:05:38 PST 2001

This technicality suggests that Israel believed Hamas to be an non-violent opium for the Palestinian masses. Israel could not have been blind to the fact that Hamas had "evolved from cells of the Muslim Brotherhood" (UPI - http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=162747), which had massacred 32 Alawi cadets in Syria in 1979, assassinated Sadat in 1981, and staged a bloody uprising in the Syrian town of Hama in 1982. Moreover, Sheikh Yassin, the leader of Hamas, was arrested and sentenced with 5 of his followers to 9-13 years in 1984 for possession of 60 rifles, and released one year later in a prisoner exchange with the PLO.

In fact, it was most probably this violent streak that made Hamas so attractive to Israel after Arafat renounced terrorism in 1985. Israel needed an intransigeant Palestinian adversary in order to implement the Allon plan, whereas Arafat was forcing Israel to negotiate an equitable peace.

Hamas's "abrupt" conversion to violence in 1988 was one-upmanship with the PLO, which had reacted to the spontaneous intifada by quickly organizing the United National Leadership of the Uprising. Israel waited more than one year, until the first Hamas attack, to ban the organization and arrest its leaders. Ever since, Hamas has unerringly played into Israel's hand by sabotaging the peace process and falling for every Israeli provocation. Every bloody Hamas attack has served to advance the Israeli right, and some of the attacks are uncannily timed to win Likud elections, sabotage peace initiatives, etc.

So although your technicality is factually correct, it could not be further from the truth.

Hakki