Blum on rebuilding Afghanistan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 4 06:25:40 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Mina's point seems about as unobjectionable as a statement that most
>children under 16 attend school.

Years ago, I had a conversation with a Dominican woman who was a student at Harvard Law School. Her tales of how racist and patronizing her fellow students were shocked me, and changed the way I saw the world. Most white folks, like me, have no direct experience of what that's like. To a white observer, day-to-day racial tensions in NYC are much less severe than they were 10 years ago. I was interested in hearing some less optimistic testimony of what's been said and heard. The only self-evident truths exist in catechisms and the Declaration of Independence.

Doug