Fw: Why I'm leaving the NY Coalition for Peace and Justice

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:28:46 PST 2001

>From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>
>
>A pretty good summary of why the NYC Coalition against the war has lost
>most
>of the mass participation is started with. A lot of folks said- hey, we
>started small in Vietnam and look how big we are starting now! But the
>reality is that, like during the Gulf War, the mobilizations started
>moderate sized and shrank.
>
>That has been the pattern of antiwar organizing-- appeal to the converted
>get a big initial turnout and then see the movement shrink as it fails to
>recruit new converts to the antiwar cause.

Ah well, it's early days yet. I suspect we have many, many wars in the offing. Let me cite, e.g., a remarkably gloomy (even for me) piece by Niall Ferguson that ran in Sunday's NY Times magazine, which NF himself sums up thus:

"These, then, are the four deep trends shaping the early 21st century. First, the globalization of terrorism. Second, the approach of a second energy crisis. Third, the formalization of American imperialism. And finally, the fragmentation of the multicultural polity.

"What are the implications for the world of Sept. 11, 2011? With the caveat that this is only one of a number of possible futures, let me repeat my earlier predictions. Terrorism will be a part of everyday life. Meanwhile, American troops will be patrolling both Kabul and Kosovo. And the divisions between ethnic and religious groups in the United States -- indeed throughout the world -- will be even more pronounced. So much for the bad news. The good news? There will be fewer S.U.V.'s clogging up the streets."

Full text, http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/02/magazine/02TENYEARS.html?pagewanted=print

Carl