West Coast Chinese Restaurant Workers, Unions

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 10:23:01 PST 2001

Perhaps someone on this list could inform me on this matter. Have there been any succesful attempts in recent history to unionize Chinese restaurant workers on the West Coast...particularly here in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I am personally acquainted with several Chinese workers working in Chinese restaurants and the exploitation is quite horrible. I understand that the issue of unionization is further complicated by the fact that these are often times family run restaurants and/or the workers are illegal immigrants...or particularly susceptible to exploitation because of lack of skills and little or no English.

Would appreciate any informed perspective on this.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx