Herman on Hitchens

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Dec 4 14:27:11 PST 2001

Sloppy Logic / Slurpy Argument Alert # 666

Once more for the thrill of it:

Just because Hitchens abuses the term fascist does not refute its accuracy in terms of the Taliban or Al Qaeda.

Just because Hitchens uses the fascist to promote the US war does not mean all those who call the Taliban and Al Qaeda fascist support the US war.

Just because Clinton was "getting" the Serb fascists through NATO and criminal bombing raids, does not refute that some of the Serb leadership were fascists.

Just because some of us called the Serbian thugs "fascists" did not mean we supported the NATO/US bombing.

Just because the NATO attacks and the bombing were wrong, does not mean that we should be apologists for Serbian Orthodox fascism, (or Croat Catholic fascism or Kosovar Islamic fascism).

Just because the US attack on and bombing of Afghanistan were wrong, does not mean that we should be apologists for Islamic forms of fascism.

I find it sad for the left that Herman has to become an apologist for ethnic fascists in order to criticize US imperialism.

How about NO to both imperialism and fascism...is that too much to ask?

-Chip Berlet

p.s. anyone have Louis Proyect's note, I can hardly wait.

==========================

> Subject: Herman on Hitchens

> > Bush is attacking the
> >"Islamic fascists," just as Clinton was getting the "Serb
> >fascists," and that is all that counts for the new Hitchens.

<<SNIP>>

> > The idea that the Taliban is a fascist and expansionist threat,
> >and that Islamic fundamentalism more broadly speaking is the same,
> >doesn't hold water (Louis Proyect's note to you deals with this
> >quite well). Hitchens has come to use "fascist" as an epithet to
> >apply to any enemy of the moment.

<<SNIP>>