The Left's "Silver Lining"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 4 15:02:31 PST 2001

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Look, the context is opposition to the invasion of civil liberties. While
>anti-Nader liberals temporize and Democrats from Lieberman to Barney Frank
>support the war, some Rightists have spoken up about the administration's
>corporate statism. Good on them.
>
>Here's the context: "Ralph Nader delivered a powerful speech against the
>war and the various green parties have all issued decent statements. The
>ACLU has shown understanding of the necessity for broad coalitions of left
>and right to defend the Constitution. It has brought together left civil
>libertarians with such icons of the far right as Paul Weyrich, Grover
>Norquist, Phyllis Schlafly, Bob Barr and the Competitive Enterprise
>Institute, recruiting all these names to the terms of its opposition to
>the Patriot Act." --CGE

Good on them for sure. But Ace - as Cockburn was calling himself last year - has a bad habit of ignoring bad stuff that righties do and magnifying the bad stuff that liberals do. I'm all for bashing liberals - it's one of my favorite indoor activities - but most of the people on his list would like to criminalize abortion and homosex, force prayer into the schools, deregulate and privatize everything, and adopt the gold standard. You might think that was worth noting.

Doug