The Left's "Silver Lining"

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Dec 5 09:16:38 PST 2001

thank you so much. I don't have time to read vanden-rogers. I know them both too well.

My incisive analysis is simply this: "contradicts most progressive activism today" is ample proof of the lunacy of 'Ace' when it comes to domestic affairs outside the civil liberties category. He's been playing at too many militia firing ranges and the noise has jingled his brain. I like him on anti-war and pro-civil liberties, though I don't agree w/all of it or believe all of it.

On this list and PEN-L we argued often about whether U.S. social policy has made any advances since the Civil War, which is another way of arguing about whether social democracy is better than not- social democracy. I don't have time for that either.

cheers, mbs

And yours is incisive social analysis...

Why don't you take up the objection to the vanden Heuvel/Rogers nonsense? "...contradicts most progressive activism today" may not be damning criticism.

And the similarities of fascism, Stalinism, and the New Deal in defending their various elites should be pretty clear at this remove. --CGE