The Left's "Silver Lining"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 5 10:39:56 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Apparently, Doug wants to have it both ways: criticizing anti-war
>leftists for "preaching to the choir" first; and criticizing civil
>liberties activists for making temporary coalitions with rightists

It's fine to make coalitions with rightwingers over civil liberties. It's fine to make coalitions with anti-imperialist libertarians, too. My objection was entirely to the CP whitewashing of just how awful the folks they're proposing to make coalitions are. Ace & his sidekick just love to piss on liberals, but Schaffly & Co. get a nearly free pass. And though Ace has written thousands of words denouncing Bernie Sanders - many of them deserved - I've never seen an unkind word about Ron Paul or that madman Larry Pratt.

Doug