Why I'm leaving the NY Coalition for Peace and Justice

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Dec 5 11:58:09 PST 2001

Why I'm leaving the NY Coalition for Peace and Justice

From: Diane Lent <greenelent at earthlink.net>

-clip

There is a pivotal issue here about opposing racism and bringing in more people of color. I strongly support opposing the policies that are impacting people of color at home and in Central Asia. Those issues are central to the struggle. I do not think that, what I consider to be the leftist direction being favored will necessarily bring in more people of color. In my personal survey of my friends and neighbors who are of color they did not agree that not addressing the issue of bringing those who attacked the WTC to justice should breakdown on racial lines. Of the dozen people of color I asked about the issue, not one felt that there should not be a strong position to bring the perpetrators to some kind of justice. And they all oppose the war

%%%%%%%

CB: I hope Diane Lent is not saying that the main reason people of color are not joining to the extent they are not, because they are concerned that the issue of revenge for Sept. 11 is not emphasized enough in the coalition. I doubt that a lot.