Herman responds

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Dec 5 18:49:53 PST 2001

Hi,

Hold on a moment. Dont go away just yet.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Gar Lipow Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:18 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Herman responds

"Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org> typed on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:11:14 -0500

Subject: RE: Herman responds

>Hi,

>Let's reread some of Herman's rhetoric before dismissing my criticism so glibly.

Herman:

> >Anybody on the left recognizes that the real and

> >frightening "expansionism," now in an accelerating and violent

> >phase, is centered in Washington, and Bush's war is an ugly facet

> >of it.

Chip

>So Islamic fascist expansionism is not "real" and not "frightening," although they just killed 3000 + people in a terrorist attck on the US. Anyone who worries about fascist terrorisn is apparently not on the left.

Gar Lipow Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:18 PM OK the above is an example of what you are doing that is so offensive. Nothing in paragraph you quote says that the Taliban was not real or frightening. It does not say it is not expansionistic either.

I challenge Gar Lipow and anyone else to diagram Herman's sentence by breaking it down into simple declarative positive and implied negative statements.

Here is an example:

Anybody on the left recognizes that the real and frightening "expansionism," is centered in Washington

Those who do not recognize that the real and frightening "expansionism," is centered in Washington are not on left

the real and frightening "expansionism," is centered in Washington

"expansionism," not centered in Washington is not real is not frightening

Gar Lipow

Gee - and you were so polite in your original letter -- saying how you had "lost all respect" for Herman

I never said that. Where is the "quote" from?

-Chip