Why I'm leaving the NY Coalition for Peace and Justice

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Dec 6 07:21:39 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mina Kumar" <wejazzjune at hotmail.com>
>Although there was some interesting poll results where african americans
>were more likely to favor racial profiling of arabs in hunting down the
>terrorists than whites.

-From S Sengupta's piece in the Times onwards, lots of white people are -savoring this cute little irony. Frankly, I think it's going to be used as -a way of delegitimizing black protests over Probable Cause. I find that -poll extremely suspicious.

Of course it's being used for that purpose, but that doesn't mean it's not true. As I noted, poll results here have a lot of noise, mostly extra patriotism in support of "pro-USA" positions. And I bet that working class folks in general are more likely to give uniform "pro-USA" positions than richer folks who bother to give "nuanced" responses. And blacks are overwhelmingly working class, so they are probably giving more "patriotic" responses on average.

But attitudes on crime and violence are far more complicated in most communities, including the black community, than a lot of leftists like. A lot of folks both hate abuses by cops and hate the fact that criminals get away with too much crime - not necessarily contradicatory desires but leading to some contradictory political choices given poor options to choose from.

If the Left only offers attacks on cops or on the government, and no positive program to give people security, they will end up siding with authoritarian politics out of fear.

-- Nathan Newman