Hitchens on genocide

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Dec 6 08:43:25 PST 2001

great War on Terror, who's to say anymore? I'm waiting for this battered shoe to drop, when Hitch goes all out and supports Sharon's violence (because, after all, Hamas is theocratic, probably fascist; and since Israel helped it along to offset PLO accommodation, don't they have a moral duty to now rectify that mistake?).

DP

You may be waiting a long time.

He wrote about it in a piece in yesterday's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,612114,00.html

"Simple truth

The new mantra in rightwing circles in Washington has it that Hamas and Hizbullah are the exact equivalents of al-Qaida. A brief thought-experiment shows how and why this is not so. If it were so, then we would expect to see British and American ground forces going right into Gaza behind General Sharon, and right into southern Lebanon to help restore Israel's once-proud "security zone". But this is not occurring. Ask yourself why not, and you will see that certain questions quite simply answer themselves."

There's an interesting News Analysis overview of the Palestinians growing, but soft, support for Hamas in today's New York Times. Hamas does advocate

driving Israelis out of the Middle East although most Palestinians don't

(according to polls). Many Palestinians feel that Hezbullah guerrilas drove

the Israelis out of southern Lebanon by a war of attrition.