Islamism is a fascism? (was "Herman responds")

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Dec 6 10:55:07 PST 2001

Calling medieval zealots in a precapitalist society fascist is not terribly smart but your two points actually do coincide with two different types of political islamist: The guerilla/terrorist islamists and the parliamentary islamists. The West's hutchinsonian concept of islamism is that of the jihadist militant type. However in Turkey, Bosnia, and Bangladesh, there are political islamist parties and extraparliamentary movements that are perfectly willing to operate within the rules of capitalism, and for whom the jihad is empty rhetoric, much like world revolution was for the CPSU. Turkey's parliamentary islamists, for example, are now split into two parties, one traditionally aligned with the Saudi-financed Muslim Brotherhood and the other with the US State Department. Both are vying for control of the National Association of Industrialists and Businessmen MUSIAD, an islamist counterpart of the larger and secular TUSIAD. The islamist business sector in Turkey took off in the 90's and its recent downturn has purely economic causes.

The other type of islamist is also present on the Turkish political scene in the form of the Turkish Hezbollah, which unlike the Iranian-controlled Lebanese Hezbollah is sunnite and its cadres are mainly afghansis. They were allowed to operate as semi-autonomous death squads in the 90's because they were competing with the PKK for the control of the southeast. After the defeat of the PKK they started operating in other parts of the country as well and were accordingly stamped out, but not before they assassinated a very popular police chief (go figure) in Kurdish Diyarbakir.

The true fascists in Turkey - the guys the West mistakenly knows as the "Grey Wolves" - have a pedigree that goes right back to the Turkish Nazis of the 1940's, who were bankrolled by German Ambassador von Papen. The irrational amalgam of racism, historical mythicism, anticommunism, islamism, etc., which constitutes their so-called "nine lights" ideology is a typically fascist concoction and is radically different from the koranic zealotry of the islamists. Elements of the Turkish bourgeoise financed these fascists in the 70's to combat what they saw as an imminent communist takeover, but today the bourgeoisie is almost unanimously pro-democracy and the fascists are supported by small-town tradesmen and rural peasantry.

Hakki