Islamism is a fascism? (was "Herman responds")

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:43:10 PST 2001

>What is clarified by calling AQ "fascist"? What is gained,
>analytically, by lumping it with Adolf & Benito?
>
>Doug

Well, it performs the usual function of calling somebody "fascist"--serving as a term of insult and disgust.

More broadly, I think nothing is gained, analytically. Fascism is:

* A strong belief that--through social darwinism--morality is ultimately tied to blood and race, understood as descent and genetic relationship. * A strong rejection of the "liberal" belief that individuals have rights that any legitimate state is bound to respect * In its place, an assertion that individuals have duties to the state, seen as the decision-making organ of the collectivity. * A strong fear of Marxist communism, and an eagerness to use all weapons to combat it.

Al-Qaeda doesn't fit the pattern. I think the analogy with Cromwell's Puritans is much closer, a la Walzer's _Revolution of the Saints_...

Brad DeLong