Hegel & Catch-22 (was Re: Hitchens on genocide)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 6 22:35:46 PST 2001

Peter writes:

>Hitchens isn't with Hegel on this point as far as I know. He's
>said teleology is no longer considered true, i.e. that there's
>some sort of endpoint which history is making its predetermined
>way towards. In that column Doug posted, he mentioned what
>Marx had said about India, a point that wasn't teleolgical.

? Minus teleology, Marx's remark on India doesn't make any political sense at all.

>I'm mostly with Yossarian and right now Al Queda or one of
>its later incarnations are most likely to set off a dirty bomb or
>whatever in Chicago and kill me. So screw them!

On balance, I think my chance of getting into trouble with the U.S. government is far higher than that of getting on the wrong side of Al Qaeda, as I am not an American citizen & live in a placid cowtown in the Midwest (take that, big city boys & girls!). My chances of dying due to inadequate health care (they don't give adjuncts health insurance), getting run over by a car driven by a drunken frat boy after a football game, etc. are yet higher than both of the above. So there! -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>