Hitchens on genocide

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 00:09:19 PST 2001

>From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>
>To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Subject: Re: Hitchens on genocide
>Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:02:38 -0600
>
> > David Stannard's point remains: substitute "Jew" for "Native
> >American/indigene" in Hitchens' prose, and you have a
>recognizably
> >Nazi argument. I don't remember "it happens to be the way
>history is
> >made" having worked very well at Nuremberg.
>

>First of all the Nazis blamed the Jews for all of the world's
>problems,
>while the Native Americans were "in the way" of the colonizing
>Europeans.
>
>Stannard's point does not remain. It is false.

I've never understood why exterminating people because you imagine that they are trying to take over the world is somehow worse than exterminating them for any other reason. I've heard the same point made on the subject of Jews and Gypsies in the Holocaust (I think by Hitchens as well, but maybe mistaken.)

There was a fine discussion of this in a review of the Journal of Genocide Studies in the TLS.