NY Law Forum (12/12/01) War on Our Rights

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 7 07:59:15 PST 2001

To: professors_for_peace at yahoogroups.com From: Phil Gasper <pgasper at ndnu.edu> Subject: [P_F_P] EVENT: NY LAW FORUM (12/12/01) WAR ON OUR RIGHTS

PLEASE FORWARD AND DISTRIBUTE WIDELY ATTACKS ON CIVIL LIBERTIES AND IMMIGRANTSí RIGHTS SINCE SEPTEMBER 11

*Secret military courts taking the place of trials by a jury of peers

*Government eavesdropping on protected attorney-client conversations

*Thousands of immigrants being locked up without evidence they have done anything wrong

*Laws requiring you to carry a "National ID" card

*New laws presented as "anti-terrorist" are making it easier to arrest, jail, and execute immigrants, people of color, and poor and working people of all colors without cause.

Come hear from labor leaders, immigrants rights organizers, and civil rights lawyers on the impact of new "anti-terror" policies on our communities. And join a discussion of what we can do to protect, win back, and guarantee our rights.

Speakers: Nancy Chang, Center for Constitutional Rights; Abdeen Jabara, Arab-American Anti-Defamation Committee; Ray Laforest, DC 1707 /AFSCME and NYC Labor Against the War; New York Taxi Workers Alliance member (TBA)

Wednesday, December 12, 6:00 PM District Council 1707, 14th Floor, Auditorium 75 Varick St. (1 Hudson Sq.) (1, 9 or A, C, E to Canal)

Sponsored by New York City Labor Against the War Cosponsored by DC 1707/AFSCME/AFL-CIO, the New York Taxi Workers' Alliance, and the Center for Constitutional Rights

For more information: (212) 388-3793.