Re; Hitchens (and Marx/Negri) on genocide

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri Dec 7 09:24:43 PST 2001

Doss:
>Ok, did I miss something, or didn't Marx (and more recently,
Hardt and
>Negri) have an exactly similar formulation -- of the "civilizing
influence
>of capital" (or "Empire" in the latter's case)? Was that not
also
>"genocidal" in its implications? Please, this is hardly new --
Hitch is just
>being a good Marxist, no?

It's interesting you mention this. Both Empire and Letters to a Young Contrarian (Hitch's latest book) contain this quote from William Morris:

"Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of defeat, and when it comes it turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name."

Peter