Omar captured?

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Dec 7 22:31:34 PST 2001

[does this mean an international force can grab Kissinger and Ford and McNamara etc. for what they've done to societies?]

< http://www.outlookindia.com > AFGHAN-OMAR-REPORTS

Mullah Omar captured: British media

WASHINGTON, DEC 8 (PTI) Taliban chief Mullah Mohammad Omar has been captured and is in the custody of a warlord sympathetic to the militia, British media reported today.

Taliban leader Mullah Omar is near Kandahar in the custody of warlord Khalid Pashtoon who is sympathetic to the militia. He is being held in a friendly environment, the Times daily reported quoting a spokesman for Gul Agha Sherzai, a Kandahar commander.

The spokesman was quoted as saying that his group will demand that Omar be handed over, probably to the new interim goverment, at a tribal meeting today.

Britain's Channel 4 also said that Mullah Omar was being held in Afghanistan by Pashtun forces.

"The city's new rulers told Channel 4 News they are holding the Taliban leader Mullah Omar," the private television network said.

"With a thousand other Taliban, he is being held in what is described as a 'friendly environment'", it said.

The Pentagon said the news of Omar's capture was "potentially interesting" but added it had no independent verification from US special forces.

"In the absence of that we will we will tend to see what c omes out," a Pentagon spokesman said.