"Sexually Egalitarian Imperialism"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 8 12:04:43 PST 2001

Michael Pollak wrote:

>In line with the way you put import/export figures into perspective, can
>you estimate what percentage of T-bonds are held by SA & Kuwait?

No one really knows. The U.S. balance of payments stats report new purchases and sales for some major countries, but SA & K aren't among them, and no one has any idea where they go after the initial purchase. (The average holding period for a 30-year T-bond is about one month, so these things turn over very quickly.) The BIS stats on international banking aren't broken down to a fine level of detail either. SA has between $15b and $20b in foreign exchange reserves, which we can assume are mostly in U.S. Treasury paper; the central bank also has another $50b in foreign assets, most of which are probably in U.S. paper. But no doubt the royal family and other Saudi richies - like the family of ObL, for example - have billions more, not only in Treasury paper, but U.S. corporate bonds and stocks too. Ditto the Kuwaitis. Since there's so little in the way of domestic investment outlets, there are really few other places they could park their money.

Putting it all in perspective, I'd guess the oil rentiers are a big, but not commanding presence in U.S. (and London) financial markets. Were they redirected toward domestic economic development, that would nick the U.S. and British markets, but not collapse them. And, offsetting that blow, Bechtel and GE would probably get lots of contracts.

Doug