no theory, sez Chomsky

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sun Dec 9 10:38:08 PST 2001

I agree because formal theories - I'm guessing that's what he means - about open-ended complex systems are a non-starter. Complexity rules out causality and the non-discreteness of social systems means you can't formulate formal, cartesian rules for them. You just can't have a formal theory of a continuum and you can only have probabilistic - not deterministic - theories of complex systems. In fact, transformational-generative grammar isn't a theory either, it's a pro-AI ideology, because language is open-ended, not a system with definable outer limits.

The challenge is to define what makes marxism a useful diagnostic/prognostic tool. How do we define the effectiveness of a fuzzy-logic social theory like marxism without relying on concepts like falsifiability (how can you falsify something that's not precisely defined?)? Maybe we could assess the hit rate of predictions made by marxists. How about putting up a vote page with questions like: What will the US jobless rate be one year from now? How many US citizens will be tried for political crimes or treason by the end of 2002? How many countries will the U.S. bomb in 2002? How many new U.S. military bases will there be by 2004 in countries where U.S. military operations took place during Enduring Freedom?

Hakki