Bombers of Tomorrow Read Thucydides

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Dec 9 15:13:25 PST 2001

On Sat, Dec 7, Stephen Fidler in the FT was quoted as saying:

> But the predominance is also qualitative. Some 95 per cent of the
> bombs dropped by the US in Afghanistan were precision weapons,

Is that true? I thought the tide-turning weapons in this war were carpet bombing (or "stick laying") B-52s dropping daisy cutters and 2000lb bombs, a technology that hasn't changed in 30 years. (Although it works a lot better against massed troops defending cities with zero anti-aircraft weapons than it does against dispersed guerrillas in the jungle.)

Michael