night of the living dead/ghosts of mars (was Re: [PNEWS] CONFLICT: Benny Morris: "The Arabs Are Responsible"

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Mon Dec 10 20:21:19 PST 2001

Hakki:
>Yikes! Mad Hitch disease spreads to Israel.
>
>So what are the Palestinians guilty of?

So you agree with the American right's equation that the US = Israel and the Taliban = the Palestinians? Do I need to point out the differences in the relationships?

>Read Fisk's piece posted on the List today to see a courageous
man accept
>the hatred of the oppressed and pay the price (awesome).

I highly respect Fisk as a journalist, but found his conclusions masochistic. If he would attack Robert Fisk if he were a refugee, why doesn't he join Al Queda? I don't follow his logic.

Allow me to engage in a little Furuhashi chest-thumping. A couple weeks ago I too had a little run-in with the downtrodden. A friend was moving away and so we went out on the town before he left. Before calling it a night, we smoked a joint for old times sake. After that, a crack-head zombie asked me for some change, so I pulled out my wallet and gave her a dollar and then she went right up on me and pulled my wallet out of my front pocket! I'm really high, but managed to grab her arm before she ran away (I was flying the next day, so I needed my picture ID). My stoned friend asked if he should get the police. I said yes, as I wrestled with the superstrong living dead and tried to get my wallet back. Mind you, I'm really high. Of course the police are never around when you need them (and are always around when you don't), but I retrieved my wallet and left the poor woman to try again with someone else.

Here's an assignment for any budding cult stud writers/film reviewers out there (acutally it would be prime material for Zizek): Read John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars in light of the ongoing war between the globalizing market and atavistic, pre-modern third world theologies. Ghost of Mars stars Ice Cube as a rebel criminal and Pam Grier as the lesbian leader of a police crew sent to pick up and transport Cube's character, "Desolation" Williams. Natasha Hestridge (of Species fame) stars as a drug addled, but honorable cop in Grier's crew. The flick's a throwback to seventies film making.

Peter