Allies and opponents of US fall silent

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Dec 11 06:56:51 PST 2001

Dennis:
> The challenge for "us" (motley and bickering) is to reframe the debate, to
> not simply fall back on "No US War in Afghanistan!" which is now moot, and
> to say openly that, yes, there is a threat to citizens everywhere (and a
> threat to progressive values), a threat that cannot be excused or
> rationalized away. We should discuss how best to deal with this threat, in
> real terms that make sense to common people. Lefty teach-ins where speakers
> drone on and on about how Marx or Lenin might see this just won't cut it in
> the current atmosphere.

Since most leftists are largely unwilling to actually think radically, they can't radically oppose capitalist imperialism, and if they can't radically oppose capitalist imperialism, perforce they must sign on to the wars by which it lives and breathes. That being the case, maybe the fallback position is a defense of the liberal rights at home, which are also under under legal and cultural attack. This attack is certainly a threat to Americans everywhere, probably a much worse threat than anything Al-Qa'ida can manage (but don't say that).

-- Gordon