Zinni explosion - RE: [PNEWS] CONFLICT: Benny Morris: "The Arabs Are Responsible"

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Tue Dec 11 07:04:08 PST 2001

According to Israeli media Harold Zinni stormed out of that meeting in a fury and fired off his 48-hr ultimatum to both sides (http://www.lemonde.fr/imprimer_article_ref/0,9187,3218--254040,00.html) . The next day, just before he goes through North Ramallah, a truck carrying gas canisters explodes on his route (http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/12/10/LatestNews/LatestNews.39694.html).

The JPost says "After an investigation, both the IDF and the Palestinians eventually agreed the blast was an accident", but DEBKA of course immediately declares, on the strength of unnamed intellligence sources:

"Until now, the only Middle East terror groups attempting to assassinate senior US personnel were al Qaeda and the Hizballah. The Palestinians now join that list. This looks their answer to the diplomatic offensive the United States launched against Palestinian terror in the last couple of weeks, and may be only the opening shot of their coming showdown against America and Israel combined."

Obviously, this _had_ to be a bomb, and it _had_ to be a PLO bomb, and not another Israeli black op designed to "persuade" the US envoy of the PLO's evil intent after a negotiating session where Sharon may have appeared a tad obstructionist. Zinni may be too familiar with Israeli tactics to be fooled, but the US public is sure to take the bait: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/587454/posts

Hakki