Chomsky and no social science theory

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 07:14:08 PST 2001

What are we talking about when we talk about having a
>historical theory? I assume, for example, that all "social science"
>theories are historical theories. Is that assumption valid? Why? Why
>not?

No. Rational choice theory, game theory, and neoclassical economics are ahistorical. So too is Chomsky's transformational grammar.

>Is Chomsky merely saying that no social theory can be _demonstrated_ as
>definitely true?

Depending on what you mean by "demonstrat5ed," e.g., if you mean like a mathematical theory, this is true of any emporical theory.

Or is he saying that there is no such thing as a social
>theory -- that alleged social theories are nisnomers?

I took him to mean this.

jks