NC gets personal

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:33:42 PST 2001

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
> > >Then again, onetime Fortune writer Dwight Macdonald notes in his
> > >correspondence that Henry Luce preferred hiring leftists for his
>editorial
> > >staff because he felt that Republicans couldn't write.
>
>Wasn't it in respect to Macdonald that Trotsky made an observation to
>the effect that everyone has a right to be a damn fool at times but that
>Macdonald abused the privilege -- or something like that?

So goes the myth, carefully cultivated by Macdonald himself. Michael Wreszin, editor of Macdonald's letters, states: "Trotsky was, according to legend, irked by Macdonald's constant criticism and remarked that 'every man has a right to be stupid on occasion but comrade Macdonald abuses it.' Although Trotsky did refer to Macdonald as stupid, I have discovered no source for the quip except in secondhand mentions by such figures as James Burnham and Harry Roskolenko. Macdonald seemed proud of the attack and quoted it often. I think he made it up."

Carl