Rational Discussion of Threats of Right-Wing Networks out of Power (was Re: Allies and opponents of US fall silent)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 11 09:21:43 PST 2001

>One can, indeed must, assail US expansionism
>and the domestic efforts to lock down dissent; but there is a decentralized
>network in the wider world that is committed to killing as many Americans
>(and non-Americans) as it can, using whatever tools it has. It is not a
>liberation force, it is a violent theocratic gang that won't stop until it
>is stopped, and how it can be stopped should be part of any discussion "we"
>on the "left" have. In other words, we cannot pretend that it is some minor
>irritant that will go away in due course. The challenge is incorporating all
>this into an understandable argument. Not easy by any means.
>
>DP

No leftist has said that Al Qaeda is a "liberation force," so that's a moot question. Al Qaeda & like networks are _indeed_ a threat to the regimes in power & whatever left oppositions that exist in the countries in which they operate; and they will _not_ "go away in due course"; but exactly what degree of threat do they pose, & to whom? It doesn't seem to be the case that they are "committed to killing as many Americans and non-Americans as they can." Past terrors that are attributed to Al Qaeda suggest that they focus on politically symbolic high-profile targets (embassies, warships, the WTC, the Pentagon), unlike suicide bombers who blow up buses, pizzerias, etc. Threats from right-wing networks that are not in power should be rationally discussed, rather than exaggerated; exaggeration will only panic people & make them more inclined to accept the destruction of civil rights & liberties than otherwise. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>