Taliban prisoners asphyxiated in shipping containers

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Dec 12 08:43:40 PST 2001

I saw a news report right after the Kala-I Janghi massacre that showed a line of trucks hauling containers that the reporter said were filled with prisoners. She left it at that, not seeing anything odd about transporting people in almost airtight containers. This was the same birdbrain Turkish reporter who covered the fort massacre while Mujahedeen were getting shot practically right next to her. All the papers are carrying the same story, from apparently a single source, about "dozens" of Taliban killed. The prisoners themselves say more than 140 died, when you add it up. I heard there was another TV news report saying the containers had travelled for 4 days, which suggests a much higher death toll, especially if there were no air holes.

Hakki -------------------------------- Captured Taliban suffocated on trip to jail

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4317992,00.html

Prison visit uncovers tragic events in wake of revolt at fort

Carlotta Gall in Shibarghan Wednesday December 12, 2001 The Guardian

Dozens of Taliban prisoners died after surrendering to Northern Alliance forces, asphyxiated in the shipping containers used to transport them to prison, witnesses say. (...)