Violence, was Re: Allies and opponents of US fall silent

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 12 18:22:49 PST 2001

>"Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out" is an example of the
>dehumanization that takes place prior to enjoining others to engage in
>violence, whether by the State or a group of non-State actors.
>
>Ian

Encouragement to war may have been once as clear and simple as you suggest. Our job would be easy if they still put it like that. Today, power elite propaganda is most often cloaked in the language of compassion, especially toward women and ethnic minorities:

Liberate Afghan women from the Taliban! Protect Albanians from Serbs! Rescue East Timorese from Indonesia! Save Somalis from hunger! Etc. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>