virgil tibbs sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 15:37:14 PST 2001

the real issue shoudl be other constituency statutes that would allow corporate boards to look beyond current shareholders. My understanding of current law (almost all states are uniform here, I think) is that a corporate board would be violating its fiduciary duties to its shareholders if it decided not to layoff workers because it would hurt the community where the workers are situated.

Allowing boards to consider non-shareholder factors wopuld not necessitate that they do so, but it would then force the offending boards to explain why they are not doing so, rather than just supplying the shareholder duty mantra.