Walter Benjamin

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Dec 17 22:46:27 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 10:20 PM Subject: Re: Walter Benjamin

> >All things Papal worship hierarchy.
> >
> >Next question.
>

> "Hence the policy of leftists in the U.S. has to be a kneejerk
> opposition to all U.S. moves outside its own borders." Pope
> Carrol. E-mail, 17 December, 2001.
>
> It doesn't has to be anything. If a government can't be a moral
> agent
> outside its borders, you would think it couldn't be a moral agent
> within
> its borders either.
===========

Let's not confuse structure with agents, please. This is the Weberian tread mill we need to learn to deal with as we navigate new ways of situating individuals within institutions as we use collective action to change the way individuals work within institutions.

This leads to a cynical, pessimistic
> anarchism and
> a dead end for the left.

Isn't 'it' enough to say that cynicism is not interesting as a tactic/strategy for embedding different ethico-epistemic concerns within insitutions we *think* are loci for affecting human well-being in the 21st century? And then go on to explore the crucial questions of just what are constitutive of our concerns?

> i.e., you can't argue for universal health care because of the
> war on drugs.
>
> Peter

============ Yes you can because the webs of 'causation' are very different in their normative 'components.'

Ian