permissiveness: the cause of terrorism

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 19:04:54 PST 2001

Max Sawicky:
> In re: the right-wing radio talkers --
>
> Their way of constantly trying to vilify people on grounds of their
> political beliefs makes me want to classify them as proto-fascist.
> It's fine to rant about Ted Kennedy, obsess about Hillary, or complain
> about the Washington Post, but
> on these stations I've noticed there is a real drumbeat about
> people who aren't public figures but simply have certain relatively
> pedestrian views. On the shows I've heard, you can also detect
> euphemisms "New Yorkers" or "anti-christian bigots" that have
> an anti-semitic (broadly speaking) undertone. Lately a lot of
> talk about the alleged special affinity of Islam for violence against
> non-believers. I mentioned that in the Kensington case, one of
> them announced a jewish family's address over the air. There's
> an underlying or overt incitement to social sanction, if not violence,
> against the bad people. To me that verges on fascism because
> it goes to extra-parliamentary violence that is motivated by some
> popular sectarian prejudice. -- mbs

I think the class system inherent in liberalism pretty much ensures social forces which will show up -- resonate -- as racism, nationalism, imperialism, classism, xenophobia, sexism, and so forth -- the whole ratbag of organized fear, hate and greed. That is, there is a fairly direct connection between NPR and right-wing talk radio, and there is no reason to talk about the latter as some kind of separate phenomenon.

I was by accident listening to NPR the other day after being away from any form of establishment media a long, long time, and my first reaction was that it sounded like my fantasy of Radio Berlin 1936. It depicted a world full of unruly lower orders and demonic, mostly improperly-pigmented evil men who would soon be straightened out by American power "deciding where to strike next and what to strike with"[1]; and then, as if by miracle, "Silent Night" came on. I mentioned this to the owner of the radio, and she said she knew what I meant, but maybe she was just humoring me.

-- Gordon

[1] Tennessee Williams, "The Knightly Quest" (1965; some things don't change, eh?)