Fw: Virus Alert - see info

Andrew Cantrell acantr at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 10:13:28 PST 2001

Sulfnbk.exe virus is a hoax. If you've already deleted this file, go to

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

for details on how to repair the damage you have wrought :)

--------

Hoax Warnings

NAME: Sulfnbk.exe virus hoax ALIAS: Long File Name Backup utility virus hoax

In April-May 2001 there appeared a hoax message concerning a new virus that was reportedly discovered in Windows' Long File Name Backup utility SULFNBK.EXE. We checked several versions of this utility from Windows installations and found no infection in it. Here's the original hoax message:

---Begin Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

Virus SULFNBK.EXE

Instructions to find and delete it.

1. Start and got to Find Files. Type the name: SULFNBK.EXE

2. If it is there, open Windows Explorer, look for the file

where you found it, and then delete. Don't left click and don't

open it even if there is a fire, o.k.?

3. Just delete it.

4. Mine was in Windows/Command.

5. The person wh passed this warning to me found it in

Windows/Config.

And Norton did not discover it...

---End Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

Please ignore this hoax and don't pass it on.

It should be noted that Magistr virus-worm can choose SULFNBK.EXE file as its victim, infect it and send it out. So if you find this file attached to an e-mail message please delete it, never run the attachment.

Thanks to R.Engelander for the translation of this hoax.

There are 2 minor variants of this hoax:

---Begin Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

Dear everyone: Sorry about this, but it seems that there is a

nasty virus going around, but you can fix it if you act fast.

Please act URGENTLY. The virus could be in your computer files

now, dormant but will become active on June 1. Please follow

directions below to check if you have it and to remove it now. I

found it and removed it today.

It was brought to my attention today that a virus is in

circulation via email. I looked for it and to my surprise I

found it on mine. Please follow the directions and remove it

from yours NOW!!!!!

I do not know how long it has been on my computer, but no Virus

software can detect it. It will become active on 1 June 2001. It

might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on

the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to

the 'C:\windows\command' folder. To find it and get rid of it

off of your computer, do the following.

Go to the "START" button.

Go to "FIND" or "SEARCH"

Go to "FILES & FOLDERS"

Make sure the find box is searching the "C:" drive.

Type in; SULFNBK.EXE

Begin search.

If it finds it, highlight it.

Go to 'File' and delete it.

Close the find Dialog box

Open the Recycle Bin

Find the file and delete it from the Recycle bin

You should be safe.

The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY

E-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have

found this virus on their computers. Please help your friends

!!!!!!!!

Do not rely on your anti-virus software. McAfee and Norton

cannot detect it because it does not become a virus until June

1st.

Whatever you do, do not open the file!!!

---End Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

The second variant:

---Begin Hoax Text -------------------------------------------

VIRUS COULD BE IN YOUR COMPUTER

It will become activate on June 1st and will delete all files

and folders on the hard drive. No Anti-Virus software can

detect it because it doesn't become a VIRUS until 1/6/2001. It

travels through the e-mail and migrate to your computer. To find

it please follow the following directions:

Go To "START" button

Go to "Find" or "Search"

Go to files and folders

Make sure to search in drive C

Type in; SULFNBK.EXE

Begin Search

If it finds it, highlight it and delete it

Close the dialogue box

Open the Recycle Bin

Find the file and delete it from the Recycle Bin

You should be safe.

The bad part is you need to contact everyone you sent ANY e-mail

to in the past few months. Many major companies have found

this virus on their computers. Whatever you do, DO NOT open the

file.

If you receive these hoax messages, please ignore them.

[Description created: May-August 2001]

Andrew Cantrell Direct Organizing Group /PASNAP Cell: 818-749-6651 | E-Fax: 425-675-3814 Email: a_cantr at yahoo.com | acantr at earthlink.net W3: http://home.earthlink.net/~acantr ------------------------------