Speaking lies for power

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Dec 17 00:35:44 PST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 Leslilake1 at aol.com wrote:

> Listening to one of the syndicated conservative talk shows - the host
> introduced some conservative author, I think the guy who wrote a new book
> called "bias" or something like that about the liberal slant at cbs?

You know, on the one hand I think these guys are right when the talk about liberals in the media. The hotshot guys they are thinking of are richer and better educated than average and they do have more liberal attitudes than the country as a whole -- not on the economic and foreign policy issues we on lbo-talk usually crucify them for, but on the issues that people like this author mainly think about when they say "liberal," like their views on religion, on childrearing, on how women should act, on how homosexuals should be treated, etc. In general, liberalism seems to just mean more tolerance than the national mean.

But at the same time I can't help thinking that when this crowd starts howling about Liberals in the media, they say Liberals, but they mean Jews. Or to put that more fairly and with less punch: that Liberals and Jews are both embodiments in different historical contexts of the same demon carriers of cosmopolitanism. And nobody disseminates like a broadcaster.

Michael